Like a deferment, forbearance allows you to postpone payment on your federal loans. If you choose to place your loans in forbearance:
- Interest will accrue and may be added to your loan; therefore, forbearing payments for an extended period of time may substantially increase your loan balance.
- Iowa Student Loan strongly encourages you to make payments that at least cover your accrued interest to avoid increases in your loan balance.
Types of forbearance available for federal student loans include:
- Department of Defense Loan Repayment Program forbearance
- Emergency and disaster forbearance
- Grace forbearance
- In-school forbearance
- Medical or dental internship/residency forbearance
- National and community service forbearance
- National Guard duty forbearance
- Teacher loan forgiveness forbearance
- Temporary hardship forbearance
- Student loan debt burden forbearance